My family are from Middlesbrough originally and I was born in Stockton, moving to Hartlepool aged eleven months. This is the excuse for my guilty secret...
My stepdad doesnt like football. So because of my grandad I grew up supporting the Boro. He worked on the gates and used to let me sneak under them for free. I sat in the wooden stand til just before half time when he came and sat next to me.
Not sure if it was my first game (that was probably around 1977 or 8) but my distinctive memory is of Boro beating Villa 3-2, thus handing the title to Ipswich. Bosco Jankovic scored two.
I was easily spotted on match of the day because my mam made me wear a yellow caghoul.
There is even a photo of me wearing my first ever football strip - red with a white stripe through it
I started Pools about 1983 (aged 13) after my neighbour BILLY THE FISH had nagged me for about a year. We stood in the Rink End before the game and he shouted "This lad's a boro fan", thus humiliating me. We got hammered and I got hooked.
I feel like I have been to confession and pray you all forgive me