Mr ADG wrote:
it will shortly.
So tell me:
1. Just how many different types of rubbish bins/bags can I expect to have to fook about with?
2. If you mistakenly put the worng rubbish in the wrong bag, what happens to you?
3. Can you be fined for non compliance?
4. What do the bin men do during the winter when no one uses the brown bins.......do they still get paid?
5. Can you sue the council if you cut your hand trying to clean out tins with sharp edges, or when squashing said tins/cans?
6. How many of you actually take out the windows of your window envelopes? stupid
7. Are we responsible for sorting out junk mail into the correct bins?
8. dO I have to put newspaper into a bag, even though the paper in question is a stupid free one that I never asked for?
Thanking you all in advance.

As I worked for the council doing the doors on this EXACT initiative, let me help you out; and besides, I hated this scheme myself originally, but now I agree with it. And if you want an argument about it, I'll give you one, I've argued against much worse in Jutland Road

1) Five.
*A brown bin for garden waste (grass cuttings, indoor and outdoor flowers, small branches, but not soil or anything like that)
* A white poly bag for cardboard (such as packaging, as long as it isn't laminated; shiny cardboard like cereal packets are fine though) and plastic bottles, like fizzy drinks, bleach, etc.
* A blue box for your tin cans and glass bottles
* A blue bag for your newspapers, catalogues and junk mail
* Your green bin for everything else.
2) You get a warning in the form of a sticker - if you constantly go against the rules (it's a three strikes and you're out system), they stop picking it up.
3) Not that I know of; unless a demonstration (which we saw a couple of) results in borderline fly tipping, which is fair enough.
4) The binmen still have to collect green bins every day, given that there are two sets of Monday-Friday rounds. They're always working, and doing a hard job at that (having done the bins for a bit with the council myself). The brown bins do get emptied in the winter - questionnaires the council gave to the residents showed that many would still use them; leaves, storm damage, etc. I didn't understand why myself, but the facts are there.
5) No. Technically they'll take them if you don't wash them out; as long as they're "empty" and not half full with beans. Besides, just leave them to soak in the used water after doing the dishes, it works a treat.
6) Silly, but it's done for a reason; contaminating a load results in poor quality control tests which results in less revenue coming back to the Council. Or something like that. They aren't bullshitting though.
7) Junk mail goes in your blue bag. That's not too difficult, is it?
8) Blue bag, yes. I dunno about you but my dad gets two or three papers a day, and so the blue bag is ideal. Even if your box/bag/whatever only has one or two items in, put it out and they'll still lighten the load - or, if you need to, share with a neighbour.
parmopooly wrote:
more questions from me:
1) do you get fined if a neighbour piles his/her "wrong" rubbish into YOUR bins ?
2) do you get fined if you subsequently refuse (sic) to put out your bins to prevent the above scenario re-occurring?
3) how the f*** are the authorities going to cope with/ prevent the massive increase in fly-tipping which will result?
4) are we going to get a decrease in council tax if we are pre-sorting out the rubbish before it gets to the recycling depots/incinerators (delete as appropriate)?
1) No, again it's the three strikes and you're out. You can call up the council and tell my old boss Claire that, although she puts up with so much shit anyway that I doubt you'd get too nice a reply. I'd just peel the sticker off, or swap bins so it's her fault.
2) Not at all. The recycling service is optional, but recycling itself isn't; as long as you're still putting things in the right bin (and disposing of what you're holding back yourself at a recycling centre), it doesn't matter.
3) There hasn't been an increase in fly tipping; if there is to be, heavier laws have been introduced to fine the tippers heavily.
4) Recycling depots, and no, of course not - (this was probably my most asked question on the job) - the council are doing this as a directive of the Government, which is directed under the EU to conform to the much higher (and better) standards of the likes of Germany and Holland's waste disposal. As a result the HBC is having to invest to make money in the long run; the next couple of years will see the scheme paying for itself through the selling of recycled materials back to companies.
After then, a slowing down of council tax rises, maybe - but taking half an hour tops in a routine every week which will become second nature to you after a while? The council are providing an extended service for the future good of ourselves, so I can't really complain.