richard head wrote:
Staying in a wooden shack of a hotel in Yuksom (Sikkim) after returning from a trek up near the base of Mount Kanchenjunga, I was awakened in the morning by strange noises. Once I regained proper consciousness I realised it was the noise of people hawking up gobs. A party of five or six Indians were staying in the hotel in readiness for the outward trek and had monopolised the army-type shower room. They spent a full 15 minutes - it could well have been more - cleaning out their bronchial tubes.
The shower room was two rooms away, not just the other side of the wall, but I could hear them as if they were right there in my own room.
Astonishing where they got it all from. I've never heard anything like it, before or since.
It's obviously an indian thing. I sometimes hear the same thing coming from my bathroom in the morning.