Kenny Bottles wrote:
I cannot image the horrors of war and the sacrifices made by so many men. Even the most gung-ho soldiers must've been shitting themselves as they approached the beaches in them landing boats.
I spent some time reflecting on this, and read as much as I could stomach about the fighting itself. Interestingly, this lead me on to discovering things I wasn't aware of regarding the logistics of getting that many men and machines onto the beaches.
A particularly fascinating subject was fuel, and how to get the mega amount of gallons they'd need to where it was needed.
And just how ingenious some of the "boffins" were in proving once again that necessity really is the mother of invention.
Although it was not up and running immediately on D-day, the Allies had planned to install an undersea pipeline to pump oil from England to France - and despite many people in charge thinking it was bonkers, it worked well once they got it running. This was cutting-edge stuff at the time, and within weeks it was pumping oil and petrol to the French coast.
Search for "Operation PLUTO" if you want to know a bit more about it.
Thanks some of the inventions where amazing.