Jamie1952 wrote:
For every YouTube video about statins being ok there are many counter claiming they are bad for you. There can be numerous side effects, muscle aches and damage and liver damage that’s why you should have a liver and kidney function blood test annually when you are on statins.
I take 20mg daily, my cholesterol was slightly high but now it’s normal, initially I had muscle ache in my calves but eventually found a brand that didn’t cause that.
I used to like grapefruit but grapefruit juice has a chemical that can interfere with the enzymes that break down the statins in your digestive system so I don’t eat or drink grapefruit anymore much to my displeasure.
Yes that's spot on that's why I had to give up grapefruit juice. I refused statins from day one after doing a lot of research. I take blood pressure tablet each day and Zicron 40 mg for my type 2 diabetes. I have changed from metformin ( they are terrible from my experience ) and now doing brilliant. I also changed my blood pressure tablets twice until I found Amlodipine 5 mg 3 months ago. I only take one tablet daily but was told 3 months back that I would have to take 2 / 3 / 4 a day after the first 2 weeks. I had no problems at all and told the nurse I would like to continue on I a day. She said your choice but you will need to be careful and will have to increase dosage very soon. Anyway fast forward 3 months and she agrees I have it under control after carefully following the nutritionist advice. Hopefully I can just continue now on one tablet because it's works fantastically for me. We both know though it's horses for courses and tricky even for the nurses to choose the right fit for each individual. It's a trial and error exercise with most tablets as you will know.