Bluestreak wrote:
The inheritance tax only effects a small number of farmers (Clarkson etc) so this is just a political demo orchestrated by right wing Tory shire supporters.
No, I don't think you're right. Clarkson and the like will have expensive lawyers to draw up contingency plans. By the time this change comes in they will have it sorted. Putting the farm into a trust or signing it over to children etc. Incidentally the farm that Clarkson has (although very big) isn't really a proper farm is it! He milks it

for his TV shows and books, meaning that if he did get caught out by IHT you could see the point of the changes.
It's the little farms that are getting hit. There's a lot of them. Just normal type people who may have assets in land and machinery but don't make much money and just plod on trying to keep the family farm going. That's why there's so many smaller farmers demonstrating - they wouldn't be up in arms if it was just the Clarkson's of this world taking a hit.
Where I live there a lots of little farms. They are struggling at present, losing money in fact, I know this because I occasionally talk to them.
At present, if they ship out (sell up) be it to a building firm or similar they get clobbered for tax and rightly so. It's the easy option I suppose, but don't we want these farms to survive? So we (as in we the country) keep the land as agricultural land or to keep it in the hands of the generational farmer and not get swallowed up by BIG FARMER, as in the rich get richer and everyone else can f*ck off.