Kettering Poolie wrote:
The Shan-ometer of Pools chairmen
Rate the chairmen in your lifetime -
Sir Harold - 'Mint'
Legend that stepped in, saved the club, redeveloped ground and responsibly passed it on to IOR
Ken Hodcroft - Slightly minty!
Ran a tight ship and a lot more good memories than bad. Cardiff was amazing day (bar the result)
Blotted his copy book by offloading to Asset Strippers TWICE
Vince Barker - (don't really remember - so will go
slightly Shan - handing on to John Smart)
The Rajanator- Shan -
started well enough, stabilised club, won promotion to EFL and then allowed the wheels to fall off
John Smart - Shan -
Came across as quite odious and needlessly took an axe to the old wooden stand- when other clubs kept theirs for years after
Garry (2r's) Gibson - Proper Shan
Promotion season was brilliant under Cyril/ Alan Murray but gambled with the clubs future and almost folded until Sir Harold rescued us
Coxberg - Shan as Fuck, them like!
That crooked- couldn't bend wire the same shape
Should have been jailed
Very fair reviews apart from Vince Barker. I ( just a teenager at the time ) believed he was total shan going by the stuff printed in the fail we used to believe was gospel. Fast forward to my 40s and I was asked if I could arrange a birthday surprise for a friend ( bunker member ) at the request of his misses. She asked if It was possible I could get Bob Newton to come to Hartlepool for a surprise party appearance. I got it sorted and they did a Karaoke duel. He had a magical birthday ( should have seen his eyes light up when Bob walked in ) and we had a wonderful night. A group of us then went to Chesterfield and had a night out with Bob n his misses. During that night Bob got taking about his time
at Pools with various stories. I asked Bob about Barker and he said " he was the nicest most genuine man he had met at Pools " apparently Barker almost bankrupted his farm and kids future due to his love of Pools. He said he spent almost every penny on Pools but still got slated. It turned out he was not liked by the mail editor and it was him who relentlessly pushed him out with lies and jealousy. I believe Bob was totally sincere about Barker and believe he treat him like a son ( his words ). So on reflection it appears he was a good bloke who simply took over the club he loved ( like Hornsey did ) but didn't have deep pockets.
