Username:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:30 pm 
Ok stand up for them then. I and others will continue to call them out on their lies and deceit. Lies and deceit which are there for all to see.

Then they compound it all by denying ever saying what's just been shown to them.

But hey they are only human.

Not the sort of humans I like to spend time with but human nonetheless.

You seem to be another one, with respect, that doesn't actually debate the points put in front of them.

Tou say there is another side to the PPE debacle. Tell us what it is then.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:28 pm
Posts: 15414
Jhumps84 wrote:
I wasn't even trying to stand up for the right here. Personally i think govt have been very cute citing "following scientific advice" which roughly translates to if this all goes wrong, we'll hang them out to dry. But god, people are dying, now isn't the time to be getting angry at other people on messages boards for saying come on see it from another point of view. Equally, no party, whatever the colour would have done everything 100% right, because they are people and have biews and make mistakes, so making it all politically charged is utterly abhorrent right now


I agree. Mr I’s last post was about as low as anyone has sunk so far. It’s surely only fair if someone opposes the view you are putting across to such an extent that they are throwing around insults that at least and some reasoning and counter argument other than ‘I can’t be bothered’ and loads of quite baffling stuff about Jeremy Corbyn. It’s mental.

But we aren’t talking about small judgements of error here either, we are talking catastrophic ones that have cost tens thousands of lives.


Last edited by PJPoolie on Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:33 pm 
Javed Miandad Stance wrote:
How is suggesting someone sounds like middle management offensive ?
I tell you what is fucking insulting, describing a programme where nurses are actually asked for their views and then letting them express it as trash, without even fucking watching it.


Agree with this. Boris the butcher has 21,000+ deaths on his watch, yet it's the nurses that get attacked for trash.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:37 pm 
Looking like around another 600 deaths today. Fast just be coming a number aren't they?

And a very well hidden wrong number at that.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:46 pm
Posts: 5899
Location: East Durham Riviera
Just came into this , after a nice long walk, I wish I'd stayed out., leftie, leftwaffe , momentum, Owen Jones, Marxist cabal , Jesus Christ ! sounds like there's only one apoplectic person with a beetroot face on here , and he appears to have morphed into his hero Boris Johnson.

_________________
Call me whatever you wish, I come here to give you my opinion, not acquiesce with yours.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:28 pm
Posts: 15414
https://twitter.com/edconwaysky/status/ ... 65636?s=21


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Essex
Javed Miandad Stance wrote:
How is suggesting someone sounds like middle management offensive ?
I tell you what is fucking insulting, describing a programme where nurses are actually asked for their views and then letting them express it as trash, without even fucking watching it.


For the last time, calm the fuck down. I did watch it. I'm not undermining any point in the programme that they made. What i am saying is that the programme has an agenda, and then chose people who speak to that agenda. Did it tell the other story of what decisions were made and why? No it did not. Did it show the person in an office with head in their hands having made a wrong decision which they are probably very sorry for...no it did not. There are two sides to the human story here. And that is my issue, it incites rage without telling the whole story and then people act on that without knowing the whole story. It's not the time and panorama is not a full investigation of the issue.

Suggesting something of anyone to dismiss their comment because of what you think they are is insulting. What does it matter what someones does, does it devalue their opinion? That's what i found insulting, you devalued my comment because of what you think i am, not the comment itself. And how dare you think you are absolutely right just because of what you heard on TV and anyone who isn't you or doesn't agree with you can't possibly have anything useful to add. For your information i work for a company trying to find a vaccine for this shit...but what is the point if people can't even be civil to each other because they're hot under the collar of something they saw on TV. Grow up, calm downa nd understand that people think differently and you know thats ok if they don't think the same as you...don't belittle them into being some sort of middle manager


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 pm
Posts: 587
I've been reading the Bunker pretty regularly for the last few weeks, since the lockdown really, given how much time I have. In that time I'm yet to really see any reasonable, evidence-based argument for the government in that time. Granted, I think some people are little aggressive at times in attacking this government but there are also a lot of very reasonable people putting reasonable criticisms out there. The typical response from those trying to defend the government (if you can call it that) is to dismiss/ignore those points and turn the thread into a slanging match.

I'm more than willing to hear a genuine opposition to my view, I'm not entrenched. Given actual facts or explanations I would happily shift my position. In fact I'm actively seeking some opposing views because I want someone to convince me that I'm wrong. To convince me that this government isn't as incompetent as I believe it to be. I'm yet to be convinced, mostly because no one in support of the government on this board has actually tried yet.

At the end of the day, an effective government is what will get us out of this crisis as unscathed as possible and regardless of politics that is what I, and the majority of others, actually want.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 2431
For the last time, calm the fuck down. I did watch it. I'm not undermining any point in the programme that they made. What i am saying is that the programme has an agenda, and then chose people who speak to that agenda. Did it tell the other story of what decisions were made and why? No it did not. Did it show the person in an office with head in their hands having made a wrong decision which they are probably very sorry for...no it did not. There are two sides to the human story here. And that is my issue, it incites rage without telling the whole story and then people act on that without knowing the whole story. It's not the time and panorama is not a full investigation of the issue.

Suggesting something of anyone to dismiss their comment because of what you think they are is insulting. What does it matter what someones does, does it devalue their opinion? That's what i found insulting, you devalued my comment because of what you think i am, not the comment itself. And how dare you think you are absolutely right just because of what you heard on TV and anyone who isn't you or doesn't agree with you can't possibly have anything useful to add. For your information i work for a company trying to find a vaccine for this shit...but what is the point if people can't even be civil to each other because they're hot under the collar of something they saw on TV. Grow up, calm downa nd understand that people think differently and you know thats ok if they don't think the same as you...don't belittle them into being some sort of middle manager[/quote]

:clap: :clap:

_________________
A Loquacious Location of Lipograms at The Phrontistery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Essex
Soma wrote:
I've been reading the Bunker pretty regularly for the last few weeks, since the lockdown really, given how much time I have. In that time I'm yet to really see any reasonable, evidence-based argument for the government in that time. Granted, I think some people are little aggressive at times in attacking this government but there are also a lot of very reasonable people putting reasonable criticisms out there. The typical response from those trying to defend the government (if you can call it that) is to dismiss/ignore those points and turn the thread into a slanging match.

I'm more than willing to hear a genuine opposition to my view, I'm not entrenched. Given actual facts or explanations I would happily shift my position. In fact I'm actively seeking some opposing views because I want someone to convince me that I'm wrong. To convince me that this government isn't as incompetent as I believe it to be. I'm yet to be convinced, mostly because no one in support of the government on this board has actually tried yet.

At the end of the day, an effective government is what will get us out of this crisis as unscathed as possible and regardless of politics that is what I, and the majority of others, actually want.


In my view and again not trying to defend government here but there are some key points to bear in mind. SARS and MERS never made it over here so why would there have been any reason in Jan/Feb to think this would and they were the most recent examples of anything like this. Nobody has ever seen it before so how can you judge it, how quickly and easily it could spread. The lower death rates in China could have lead people into a false sense of security. I have no idea why China was lower, could be they lied, could be that there is some immunity anyway to corona viruses as they've gone round before but not as severe as this one...who knows. Given it takes 25 days from infection to being in ICU by the time people really realised what had happened it was already almost too late. Even when italy took off that was 14 days before the UK, thats still 11 days of no action. PPE is in short supply and this should have been acted on quicker, especially with such high global demand, someone has to lose out and we have. I think those things drove some really bad decisions which should be questioned. I don't think any governement would have dealt well with it, but yes lives could proabably have been saved. Equally there are things we can't change. We have a densely populated country...and that's fine before people think that's a brexit type thing. We have high obesity and a certain amount of the population living longer but not living well which really isn't going to end well for a pandemic. Close proximity to other people that are at risk has been our ultimte downfall and only complete and utter isolation would have saved them, which just isn't realistic in the world.

So is governement incompitent. Probably yes. When you take into account the above, it was never going to go well whoever was in charge, especially as any govt would have followed "scientific advice". There's nothing wrong with the scientific advice either, they're just as much in the dark too and making the best choices they can too. Nobody has ever seen this before. So i don't think a political argument is appropriate at this time and there are a hell of a lot of factors which could change the outcome of all of this. But that's just my thoughts/views and i'm not likely to be right


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:28 pm 
So why didn't you put forward that argument start then instead of dismissing the programme as trash with an agenda, in a partnosing a demeaning way ?
I have not seen anything that suggests the key points made were not factually accurate and that the government was rapidly moving goalposts or fiddling figures to cover its arse


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:29 pm 
Also if mistakes are being made or there are shortages why not just apologise for the mistakes or accept there are shortages.
Instead of this bullshit we are sorry if you feel that way, which is basically the same as saying we are sorry if you are not intelligent enough to see things as they are.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:31 pm 
PJPoolie wrote:
https://twitter.com/edconwaysky/status/1255147479466565636?s=21


This graph is horrific, and although the European countries do curve down it's likely to be that the baseline average increases due to incoming tourism and people dying there.

Kind of puts to bed the "loads of people die of flu every year" argument though.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:42 pm 
MadJohn wrote:
yloop wrote:
This graph is horrific, and although the European countries do curve down it's likely to be that the baseline average increases due to incoming tourism and people dying there.

Kind of puts to bed the "loads of people die of flu every year" argument though.

Indeed. We had Toby Young last week trying to downplay the whole crisis by pointing out that more people had died by the same point in 2018 than in 2020. True, but at the same time horribly disingenuous.


Obviously twitter exploded with people not understanding baseline average comparison. "But spain and italy haven't decreased that much, fake news" etc.

A lot of the numbers year on year will include winter flu deaths, which we're still very likely to see towards the end of the year as we did at the beginning (above the average). Towards summer our average deaths would drop I'd assume which will make this graph look even worse as we go.

It's also worth noting this is just England.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:57 pm 
Why keep telling us we are winning the war, or even mentioning the war ? Why keep passing it off as a success ?
We were told keeping deaths below 20,000 would be a good outcome. That isn't happening. Hancock said 100,000 tests a day by end of April, Johnson said 250,000 a day by May. We are nowhere near that.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:58 pm 
NHS not at full capacity but only cos they are leaving old people to die in their thousands in care homes.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:04 pm 
Javed Miandad Stance wrote:
NHS not at full capacity but only cos they are leaving old people to die in their thousands in care homes.


Irrefutable, but we all hate the tories so make this shit up.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 pm
Posts: 587
Jhumps84 wrote:
In my view and again not trying to defend government here but there are some key points to bear in mind. SARS and MERS never made it over here so why would there have been any reason in Jan/Feb to think this would and they were the most recent examples of anything like this. Nobody has ever seen it before so how can you judge it, how quickly and easily it could spread. The lower death rates in China could have lead people into a false sense of security. I have no idea why China was lower, could be they lied, could be that there is some immunity anyway to corona viruses as they've gone round before but not as severe as this one...who knows. Given it takes 25 days from infection to being in ICU by the time people really realised what had happened it was already almost too late. Even when italy took off that was 14 days before the UK, thats still 11 days of no action. PPE is in short supply and this should have been acted on quicker, especially with such high global demand, someone has to lose out and we have. I think those things drove some really bad decisions which should be questioned. I don't think any governement would have dealt well with it, but yes lives could proabably have been saved. Equally there are things we can't change. We have a densely populated country...and that's fine before people think that's a brexit type thing. We have high obesity and a certain amount of the population living longer but not living well which really isn't going to end well for a pandemic. Close proximity to other people that are at risk has been our ultimte downfall and only complete and utter isolation would have saved them, which just isn't realistic in the world.

So is governement incompitent. Probably yes. When you take into account the above, it was never going to go well whoever was in charge, especially as any govt would have followed "scientific advice". There's nothing wrong with the scientific advice either, they're just as much in the dark too and making the best choices they can too. Nobody has ever seen this before. So i don't think a political argument is appropriate at this time and there are a hell of a lot of factors which could change the outcome of all of this. But that's just my thoughts/views and i'm not likely to be right


Thanks for that, that's the most reasoned reply I've seen in weeks. I do agree that there are certain factors outside of the government's control, such as population density and general health etc.

I'll never understand the time that was wasted in the beginning of this outbreak though. We had over a week head start on Italy and Spain, and while hundreds died in their hospitals every day we were still going to the football, the pubs and Cheltenham Festival was still going ahead. I don't think the damage that carrying on for that week as normal can be understated. In an exponentially growing virus, we provided ample opportunity for it spread and it has and will cost lives and is probably the biggest factor behind us likely being the worst affected country in Europe. More than PPE shortages, more than ICU capacity and more than the availability of ventilators. The government simply allowed the virus to spread unchecked and we are seeing the results of this right now. That is indefensible and borderline criminally negligent for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:12 pm 
Soma wrote:
Thanks for that, that's the most reasoned reply I've seen in weeks. I do agree that there are certain factors outside of the government's control, such as population density and general health etc.

I'll never understand the time that was wasted in the beginning of this outbreak though. We had over a week head start on Italy and Spain, and while hundreds died in their hospitals every day we were still going to the football, the pubs and Cheltenham Festival was still going ahead. I don't think the damage that carrying on for that week as normal can be understated. In an exponentially growing virus, we provided ample opportunity for it spread and it has and will cost lives and is probably the biggest factor behind us likely being the worst affected country in Europe. More than PPE shortages, more than ICU capacity and more than the availability of ventilators. The government simply allowed the virus to spread unchecked and we are seeing the results of this right now. That is indefensible and borderline criminally negligent for me.


That's the worst thing for me, we had time. That's where the inquiry should start. Economy over life will be the take home from this. As an island nation, and a relatively small one at that, we should have had this cut off at the source.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:18 pm 
Like the Yanks we laughed it off and assumed a herd immunity approach would work as it was only the flu and old people were expendable. We only changed tack when the full scale of the death toll was explained to Dom and Boris.
That is all on record but like I said a public enquiry will be shelved until everyone involved is dead or long retired.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:27 pm
Posts: 8127
Location: Another planet
Good to see Jhumps back. We need to hear more from middle managers working in comms, specially the sort who were arguing that a degree of privatisation was good for the NHS a few months back.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:38 pm 
born toulouse wrote:
Good to see Jhumps back. We need to hear more from middle managers working in comms, specially the sort who were arguing that a degree of privatisation was good for the NHS a few months back.


I think we have a good mix on here, we've got statisticians, people in different countries, scientists, a lawyer, ex military, fitness gurus, management in various sectors, racists, caravan dwellers...

Makes for good debate usually and a wide range of views.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:27 pm
Posts: 8127
Location: Another planet
True, but some sort of interest in Pools usually helps to explain why they're here whereas Jhumps seems to be here to be the voice of middle managers. That's weird, I wouldn't want him banning or anything, it just seems odd that he bothers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:47 pm 
born toulouse wrote:
True, but some sort of interest in Pools usually helps to explain why they're here whereas Jhumps seems to be here to be the voice of middle managers. That's weird, I wouldn't want him banning or anything, it just seems odd that he bothers.


I think He's Ritchie Humphreys dad.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:57 pm 
phil wrote:
Richie Humphreys doesn't have a dad. He walked out of a cave in Sheffield at year 0.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk


In that case, we're all doomed.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Essex
born toulouse wrote:
True, but some sort of interest in Pools usually helps to explain why they're here whereas Jhumps seems to be here to be the voice of middle managers. That's weird, I wouldn't want him banning or anything, it just seems odd that he bothers.


All need views need representing. Even middle managers. In real life my title has director in it so I’ve taken a step down in my views it seems. I need to be more directorial clearly.

And yes, I still think private elements works in a mix but not full privatisation. Already there in a lot of it without us noticing...but that’s for another day.

Finally I’m Ritchie’s less handsome cousin, but rest assured a pools fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:21 pm 
phil wrote:
I'm pretty sure "Traffic Director" is just a posh title for "sign".

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk


He’s an arrow.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Essex
yloop wrote:
phil wrote:
I'm pretty sure "Traffic Director" is just a posh title for "sign".

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk


He’s an arrow.


Slippery road


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:25 pm 
Jhumps84 wrote:
yloop wrote:
phil wrote:
I'm pretty sure "Traffic Director" is just a posh title for "sign".

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk


He’s an arrow.


Slippery road


Tory rule?


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Essex
yloop wrote:
Jhumps84 wrote:
yloop wrote:
phil wrote:
I'm pretty sure "Traffic Director" is just a posh title for "sign".

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk


He’s an arrow.


Slippery road


Tory rule?


Whoever speaks most sense at the time, I’ve voted a number of ways :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 2431
Do you really think we laughed it off or that we have a higher % of those in shallow end of the gene pool who continue to flout the instructions to stay at home rather than convoy down/up to places like Snowdon or the Lakes?

Has anybody noticed the guy who spends half the week in the lay-by in Newton Bewley in his caravan banghead

_________________
A Loquacious Location of Lipograms at The Phrontistery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 pm 
MadJohn wrote:
Watching from afar wrote:
Looking like around another 600 deaths today. Fast just be coming a number aren't they?

And a very well hidden wrong number at that.

Given that this is still only the number for hospital deaths, that is a depressingly high figure when you consider that we are three weeks past the peak.


The second wave is what frightens me most if I'm honest, complacency will be the biggest killer.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:21 pm 
phil wrote:
I'm just watching Panorama now. Can someone please explain which of these facts are leftist propaganda?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk


The bits where the government can’t answer with a slogan.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:49 pm 
Any bit that attacks boris the butcher.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:27 pm
Posts: 8127
Location: Another planet
Jhumps84 wrote:
born toulouse wrote:
True, but some sort of interest in Pools usually helps to explain why they're here whereas Jhumps seems to be here to be the voice of middle managers. That's weird, I wouldn't want him banning or anything, it just seems odd that he bothers.


All need views need representing. Even middle managers. In real life my title has director in it so I’ve taken a step down in my views it seems. I need to be more directorial clearly.

And yes, I still think private elements works in a mix but not full privatisation. Already there in a lot of it without us noticing...but that’s for another day.

Finally I’m Ritchie’s less handsome cousin, but rest assured a pools fan.


The heads of department at my kids' school are called Director of....just business speak for a middle manager isn't it? Even Senior Vice Presidents only have to be in charge of three or four people. All time record is a bloke I worked with who was self-employed but signed off all his emails as President of the company.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:46 am
Posts: 17020
Location: The people's democratic illegal republic of Catalonia
MadJohn wrote:
Given that this is still only the number for hospital deaths, that is a depressingly high figure when you consider that we are three weeks past the peak.

I'm not even sure its right to say the UK is past the peak.
Past peak deaths, yes, and I hope it stays that way; but the daily new cases are on a very solid looking plateau.
It's not rocket science to know why. Ask people in retrospect and they'll probably say if only they'd done the damn quarantine properly we'd have suffered being shut up tighter if it meant being shut up for a month less.

_________________
No, your children are not the special ones.
(Nor is your dog.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Essex
born toulouse wrote:
Jhumps84 wrote:
born toulouse wrote:
True, but some sort of interest in Pools usually helps to explain why they're here whereas Jhumps seems to be here to be the voice of middle managers. That's weird, I wouldn't want him banning or anything, it just seems odd that he bothers.


All need views need representing. Even middle managers. In real life my title has director in it so I’ve taken a step down in my views it seems. I need to be more directorial clearly.

And yes, I still think private elements works in a mix but not full privatisation. Already there in a lot of it without us noticing...but that’s for another day.

Finally I’m Ritchie’s less handsome cousin, but rest assured a pools fan.


The heads of department at my kids' school are called Director of....just business speak for a middle manager isn't it? Even Senior Vice Presidents only have to be in charge of three or four people. All time record is a bloke I worked with who was self-employed but signed off all his emails as President of the company.


And? Your point is what and how is that relevant to me exactly? Or is there a particular problem you have with me for no real reason that you keep going on for? Is it just that you disagree with me, which is fine, it happens? I just don’t get the now third post about it...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:03 pm
Posts: 2134
Jhumps84 wrote:
born toulouse wrote:
Jhumps84 wrote:
born toulouse wrote:
True, but some sort of interest in Pools usually helps to explain why they're here whereas Jhumps seems to be here to be the voice of middle managers. That's weird, I wouldn't want him banning or anything, it just seems odd that he bothers.


All need views need representing. Even middle managers. In real life my title has director in it so I’ve taken a step down in my views it seems. I need to be more directorial clearly.

And yes, I still think private elements works in a mix but not full privatisation. Already there in a lot of it without us noticing...but that’s for another day.

Finally I’m Ritchie’s less handsome cousin, but rest assured a pools fan.


The heads of department at my kids' school are called Director of....just business speak for a middle manager isn't it? Even Senior Vice Presidents only have to be in charge of three or four people. All time record is a bloke I worked with who was self-employed but signed off all his emails as President of the company.


And? Your point is what and how is that relevant to me exactly? Or is there a particular problem you have with me for no real reason that you keep going on for? Is it just that you disagree with me, which is fine, it happens? I just don’t get the now third post about it...

Er, he's making a joke. I know life's hard at the moment, but there seem to be too many obvious jokes missed at the moment.

_________________
I work in a Uni yer knar. Someone has to empty the bins.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:53 pm 
That's middle management for you mate. Zero sense of humour.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:03 pm
Posts: 2134
Javed Miandad Stance wrote:
That's middle management for you mate. Zero sense of humour.


:laugh:

_________________
I work in a Uni yer knar. Someone has to empty the bins.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 pm
Posts: 587
Montpoolier wrote:
MadJohn wrote:
Given that this is still only the number for hospital deaths, that is a depressingly high figure when you consider that we are three weeks past the peak.

I'm not even sure its right to say the UK is past the peak.
Past peak deaths, yes, and I hope it stays that way; but the daily new cases are on a very solid looking plateau.
It's not rocket science to know why. Ask people in retrospect and they'll probably say if only they'd done the damn quarantine properly we'd have suffered being shut up tighter if it meant being shut up for a month less.


Is it possible that the new cases appearing to be on a plateau are being affected by the increased capacity for testing? As the testing increases it stands to reason that more cases would be found and reported, whereas this wasn't the case a few weeks ago where the number of infected was likely materially understated.

I don't necessarily disagree with you by the way, it could well be the lockdown measures haven't been strict enough and that is why the new cases are not dropping. Just offering a possible alternative.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:46 am
Posts: 17020
Location: The people's democratic illegal republic of Catalonia
Soma wrote:
Is it possible that the new cases appearing to be on a plateau are being affected by the increased capacity for testing?.

Well, here in Spain they ramped up testing big time a couple of weeks ago. We're talking about three times as many tests per head as in the UK.
There seemed to be an immediate surge in new cases but it lasted only a couple of days before the trend continued its way slowly downward.
Not sure you can infer a lot from that mind.

_________________
No, your children are not the special ones.
(Nor is your dog.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panorama Tonight
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:36 pm
Posts: 936
yloop wrote:
Soma wrote:
Thanks for that, that's the most reasoned reply I've seen in weeks. I do agree that there are certain factors outside of the government's control, such as population density and general health etc.

I'll never understand the time that was wasted in the beginning of this outbreak though. We had over a week head start on Italy and Spain, and while hundreds died in their hospitals every day we were still going to the football, the pubs and Cheltenham Festival was still going ahead. I don't think the damage that carrying on for that week as normal can be understated. In an exponentially growing virus, we provided ample opportunity for it spread and it has and will cost lives and is probably the biggest factor behind us likely being the worst affected country in Europe. More than PPE shortages, more than ICU capacity and more than the availability of ventilators. The government simply allowed the virus to spread unchecked and we are seeing the results of this right now. That is indefensible and borderline criminally negligent for me.


That's the worst thing for me, we had time. That's where the inquiry should start. Economy over life will be the take home from this. As an island nation, and a relatively small one at that, we should have had this cut off at the source.


“We had the time”? “That’s where the enquiry should start” The enquiry should start at year 2010 when this incompetent shower took charge and almost destroyed the NHS. It sickens me now when these bastards are throwing ABout all these platitudes about the NHS, how great they are and how we owe our lives to them, not forgetting the cheering when they blocked a pay rise for the same nurses they are now applauding Etc. Etc. Whilst they are at it they should also not forget Cygnus, again incompetent bastards ignoring all comments and recommendations by The EXPERTS and refusing to publish their findings. They want stringing up EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Gadgies online

Dodgepots browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron







The Bunker. The only HUFC forum with correct spelling and grammar.