Username:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Corona virus
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:47 pm 

Was in Aldi today and all hand wash sold out. A few bars of proper soap available but shed loads of shampoo and shower gel.
Does shower gel and shampoo do the same job.........medical advise required.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:25 pm 

Bluestreak wrote:
Was in Aldi today and all hand wash sold out. A few bars of proper soap available but shed loads of shampoo and shower gel.

"Soap contains fat-like substances known as amphiphiles, some of which are structurally very similar to the lipids in the virus membrane. The soap molecules “compete” with the lipids in the virus membrane. This is more or less how soap also removes normal dirt from the skin"

The kind of soap really doesnt mater, there is no evidence that antibacterial soaps perform any bettter. Washing for 20 seconds with hot water is more important than any of the soaps you could use.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:55 pm 

Just been into Tesco and it was nuts, they had no toilet paper at all, reluctantly I asked at the checkout if they had any and a firm NO was the answer.
Walking back to the toilets with my pants around my ankles was a walk I never want to have to do again!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:17 pm 

BernardCribbensUSA wrote:
Bluestreak wrote:

"Soap contains fat-like substances known as amphiphiles, some of which are structurally very similar to the lipids in the virus membrane. The soap molecules “compete” with the lipids in the virus membrane. This is more or less how soap also removes normal dirt from the skin"

The kind of soap really doesnt mater, there is no evidence that antibacterial soaps perform any bettter. Washing for 20 seconds with hot water is more important than any of the soaps you could use.

Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:28 pm 

Monkeybutt wrote:
Just been into Tesco and it was nuts, they had no toilet paper at all, reluctantly I asked at the checkout if they had any and a firm NO was the answer.
Walking back to the toilets with my pants around my ankles was a walk I never want to have to do again!

Classic Butt :laugh: clappp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:54 pm 

Monkeybutt wrote:

Got to admit that made me laugh clappp clappp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:55 pm 

Monkeybutt wrote:

Brilliant. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:57 am 

Monkeybutt wrote:

thank goodness i have not a good imagination. i,d have to self isolate for months if i got a mental picture of that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:33 pm 

I cant understand why people are buying bumfodder like mad.
This virus does not give you the shits.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:44 pm 

Bluestreak wrote:
I cant understand why people are buying bumfodder like mad.
This virus does not give you the shits.

Probably using it to blow their noses on after they have wiped their arses. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:51 pm 

Its because when this virus started in china they reckon most of toilet roll is manufactured in china so if production stops a shortage will be the outcome.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:15 pm 

Can't see how they can be any footie until late summer so how are they going to sort promotion or relegation or will this season just be null and void. Whatever way it goes there's going to be massive arguments.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:48 pm 

therethere Avoid shaking hands to contain virus.
But nothing been said about stop shagging which I ashume would be the thing that multyplys the virus the quickest.
therethere

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:24 pm 

It really is just one massive piss take. No bog roll at our supermarket, no pasta either and empty shelves everywhere.

Anyone stockpiling anything is complete fucktard and because there are so many of these fucktards, the sane amongst us will have to wipe our arses with our hands.

Flu is worse you idiots but we haven't grounded planes for that have we?

Literally, the World has gone mad.

Sad, pathetic and laughable.

The human race is thick as fuck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:33 pm 

All French bars and restaurant to close.
All leave for Spanish medics cancelled. All retired recalled. Got symptoms and go out get fined.
No mention of bum fodder in Europe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:37 pm 

shilts wrote:
It really is just one massive piss take. No bog roll at our supermarket, no pasta either and empty shelves everywhere.

Anyone stockpiling anything is complete fucktard and because there are so many of these fucktards, the sane amongst us will have to wipe our arses with our hands.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:38 pm 

shilts wrote:

Flu kills one in a thousand people who catch it though, coronavirus it's estimated kills something between 1 and 4 in a hundred and unlike flu we have not built up an immunity to it. In both those regards coronavirus is similar to Spanish Flu which killed between 20 and a 100 million people depending on which source. At a time where people travelled a lot less between countries.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:40 pm 

I agree about the stockpiling though!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:46 pm 

That's still a 1-4% chance of death if those figures are right which, to be fair, is hardly high is it and so far those dying are elderly with underlying conditions.

Those at high risk manage that risk with the rest of us helping them out in terms of getting food etc to them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:59 pm 

I agree with everything you say, but I suppose the argument for measures that prevent the spread of the virus are if only 25% of the population catch it rather than 50%, you stop the premature death of anywhere between 180000 and 750000 lives. Theoretically!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:02 pm 

A fair shout but is it not better to isolate those at the highest risk?

As some doctor said somewhere, we need to catch it to build up resistance

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:40 am 

shilts wrote:

The internet and the media has certainly risen the hysteria levels. I was at Spennymoor today, everyone laughing, smiling, you'd think the world was never in a better place. Not a cough heard all game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:36 am 

you dare not cough though in fear of being burned at the stake or being a victim of a viking burrial where your burning boat will be pushed out to seas when the tide is going out at the fish sands.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:56 pm 

Location: The people's democratic illegal republic of Catalonia
Hands up all those who are thinking it can't happen here.
If the WHO are worried, anyone pretending there's no problem is bordering on the idiotic.
The WHO has succeeded in eradicating polio and. smallpox. i think that lends a fair bit of weight to their guidance.
All they are advocating is a few simple hygiene measures (knowing full well their advice will probably be totally wasted).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:31 pm 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02 ... o-pandemic

I read this a while back..my garage now is a huge food store.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:24 pm 

Its a shame this virus attacks the aged and people with underlying ailments, if it could switch to the lower end of the gene pool and cleanse that, the loo roll hoarders and twats who steal hand sanitizer from hospitals would be a start.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:14 pm 

Montpoolier wrote:
Hands up all those who are thinking it can't happen here.
If the WHO are worried, anyone pretending there's no problem is bordering on the idiotic.
The WHO has succeeded in eradicating polio and. smallpox. i think that lends a fair bit of weight to their guidance.
All they are advocating is a few simple hygiene measures (knowing full well their advice will probably be totally wasted).

I totally agree that we should follow the WHO's advice . I find it astonishing that people try to put them down. It isn't as if we can all hop on a magic bus to avoid this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:35 pm 

born toulouse wrote:
I totally agree that we should follow the WHO's advice . I find it astonishing that people try to put them down.

Eric Clapton maybe, but not Pete Townshend...unless of course you're into that kind of thing. bbolt

In other news -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51962751

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:37 am 
People down the gym, the pub, the cinema, fucking selfish bastards, you’ll bring it home and pass it on, you’ll be fine, but your 80 year old relative won’t, your mate with immune issues won’t, a pal having chemo won’t

Showing the virus you aren’t afraid won’t work
In times of terrorism, go to the pub to show the enemy that unbeatable British spirit!
In a pandemic, do not go to the pub, because the enemy might follow you home and kill your nana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:52 am 

[quote="TalbotAvenger"]People down the gym, the pub, the cinema, fucking selfish bastards, you’ll bring it home and pass it on, you’ll be fine, but your 80 year old relative won’t, your mate with immune issues won’t, a pal having chemo won’t

if my experiance is anything to go on then older the person the less they seem bothered about it. a guy who will be 100 in a couple of weeks time is sick to death of hearing about it. different outlook on life or actually think they are on borrowed time anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:58 am 

TalbotAvenger wrote:
People down the gym, the pub, the cinema, fucking selfish bastards, you’ll bring it home and pass it on, you’ll be fine, but your 80 year old relative won’t, your mate with immune issues won’t, a pal having chemo won’t

In times of terrorism, go to the pub to show the enemy that unbeatable British spirit!
In a pandemic, do not go to the pub, because the enemy might follow you home and kill your nana

Well said

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:42 am 
TalbotAvenger wrote:

OK. Where do you start here? I dont disagree with a word of what you have said, but....................

If our lovely Prime Minister was really serious about telling people not to go our socially wouldnt he have enforced closures? This allowing the businesses to claim on their insurance policies to protect them? A bit like the rest of the world has done?

But no, our PM pretends he cares for the old folk. But in reality he cares more about protecting Lloyds and the likes. So here we have it. Thousands of jobs are under threat, many have already been made redundant and many small businesses will not survive and for what? To protect the elderly and the vunerable. Yet the thickets of the world dont get it and they never would, would they?

So we have a plan thats not working because the government wont fully enforce it and yet the ecomomy is going to the dogs anyway. If the government want restaurants and pubs open they want people to go to them. Dont blame the people for what is the governments fault. And remember once someone has hid it they can crack on anyway and its them that will restart the ecomomy. Except of course most will never know if they had it or not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:07 pm 

The issue is that the ones who still go to pubs etc are thick as mince and selfish, if they had half a brain cell they would grasp the severity, they are the ones with all the pasta and bog roll too :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:12 pm 
CJpoolie wrote:
The issue is that the ones who still go to pubs etc are thick as mince and selfish, if they had half a brain cell they would grasp the severity, they are the ones with all the pasta and bog roll too :roll:

OK then. So why are the government not closing down these pubs then? And if they wont what do you want the pubs to do? And I very much doubt they are ones hoarding. They are more likely the ones hoping it all just goes away. The hoarders are the other extreme. The ones who have watched too much of the walking dead.

And remember also our government actually want us all to get it but they want to control when. Thus making this last even longer than it will anyway. And yet like I have already pointed out they wont make that very big decision. I wonder why?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:15 pm 

Being compulsorily locked in, as I am and it's now day 6, it's way better to take a light-hearted view than fret about it. I'm just wondering how long I can keep inventing quarantine jokes.
And by the way making jokes about it doesn't mean being flippant about observing it. When I jokingly ask Madame Poolier where she fancies going tonight, supposing we were even allowed to go out, where would we go? To the chemist's?
Do I agree with the quarantine? You fucking bet I do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:21 pm 

Watching from afar wrote:
OK then. So why are the government not closing down these pubs then?

The Irish government closed the pubs in time to stop people celebrating St Pat's. Now that really took some nerve.
I've never lived under a UK government that had both backbone and a social conscience.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:37 pm 

accrington fan wrote:
TalbotAvenger wrote:

if my experiance is anything to go on then older the person the less they seem bothered about it. a guy who will be 100 in a couple of weeks time is sick to death of hearing about it. different outlook on life or actually think they are on borrowed time anyway.

There's loads of younger people with asthma or whatever who stand a high chance of dying because of it though. Their deaths need reporting more to really bring it home to people.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:50 pm 
Montpoolier wrote:

I've never lived under a UK government that had both backbone and a social conscience.

Exactly yet this government got in with a huge majority. Voted for mainly by the elderly. I am tempted to say something really crass at this point but I wont.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:02 pm 

If our lovely Prime Minister was really serious about telling people not to go our socially wouldnt he have enforced closures? This allowing the businesses to claim on their insurance policies to protect them?

I think you will find that the vast majority of insurance policies wont cover this in any way, shape or form. Thats even with enforced closures.
Those who are lucky enough to have disease cover on their policies will find that even that wont cover the coronavirus as it is a pandemic and not resulting from something within the claimants premises.
According to my broker there maybe only a handful of companies who are actually covered against this and they will be multinationals.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:13 pm 

TalbotAvenger wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... s-possible.

Two of your favourites pulling the pints here Talbot..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:37 pm 

Pubs shut from midnite and I wud imagine for a long time.
Glad I finished me beer garden off today.
Fridges will have just as much drink in now as food.

Tinny prices on the way up
refyellow
refred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:52 pm 

Them reports from Italy look really grim.And who's going to be able to help them already poverty stricken Third World countries atm.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:50 pm 
MadJohn wrote:
Meanwhile we have a chain of chemists charging a tenner for 32 paracetamol and £19.99 for a bottle of Calpol. What a time to be alive.

Name them and shame them

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:41 pm 

CJpoolie wrote:

OK then. So why are the government not closing down these pubs then? And if they wont what do you want the pubs to do? And I very much doubt they are ones hoarding. They are more likely the ones hoping it all just goes away. The hoarders are the other extreme. The ones who have watched too much of the walking dead.

And remember also our government actually want us all to get it but they want to control when. Thus making this last even longer than it will anyway. And yet like I have already pointed out they wont make that very big decision. I wonder why?

I am a visionary!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:44 pm 

Anyone who doesn’t think this is serious is a fool. The reason why we shouldn’t go out is the virus attacks a protein receptor that increases with age or underlying health issues which attack your immune system specifically in lungs. That’s why kids show really no symptoms but are massive carriers. The symptoms in second L strain take 14 days to show in which time your body isn’t responding so immune system attacked. Your lungs get blisters on areas that transfer oxygen to the blood. If your old or have issues then this doesn’t work and it’s basically pneumonia sets in and your organs fail. I cannot say how much keeping kids away from the old is paramount. Under 50 are fine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:50 pm 

On the government response to testing they in the last week have been brilliant they are getting all the machines from everywhere even academic labs to take them and put them into front line diagnostic testing. This is the first step but is taking time you can’t instantly move from zero to 200,000 samples a day overnight. These thing take time to build and the machine to extract the RNA from sample runs 96 samples in 28 minutes that before going onto analyse the sample which is another machine called a qPCR machine that was seen carried into number 10 the other day. Also this has to be validated

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:09 pm 

is it me or are people still not taking this seriously? Especially the older generation.

Me dad who is 66 was in the pub last week meeting with my brother and he give zero shits n said nothing will stop him going out.

The ones who are most vulnerable seem the most stubborn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:16 pm 

Yubep wrote:
is it me or are people still not taking this seriously? Especially the older generation.

Our two busiest's pubs in the town centre were very busy at lunchtime a couple of days ago when i looked in ..they were full of elderly people.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:31 pm 

Groups of kids and youths just hanging around, not a care and the parents oblivious, no prescription for dumb!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:47 pm 

Compo wrote:

The researchers in virology don’t seem bothered one said to me it’s nice a virus i.

Well i was bothered a couple weeks ago.. sctatchinghead

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next