Username:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: one for the old timers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:41 am 

Brilliant, thanks Chip.

Seaton when I was little and some beautiful shots that would be worth watching wherever they'd been filmed. Nevermind the tall ships, if you want to boost tourism bring back the mad mouse!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:53 am 

Is that Burbank Street at the beginning sctatchinghead

Brilliant that Chip, Cheers :coool: :coool:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:58 am 

Hard to believe anybody had a poster up for Terry Lightfoots Jazzmen and is the pub The North Eastern?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:04 pm 

clappp

Phenomenal! Shows how little Seaton Front has actually changed mind...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:06 pm 

The pier he's riding down, is that old skelly pier sctatchinghead

Where's Mutley when you need him. He'll know some of these :laugh: Because he's much older than me :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:23 pm 

Location: The people's democratic illegal republic of Catalonia
That film scares me.

P.S. remember when the only bad dogs were allersatians?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:28 pm 

..Just back from County and I enjoyed that Chip, brings back many memories......the rail tunnel at the bottom of Church Street, trawling around Dovecot Salerooms with me' parents when a toddler, and waiting in a one of those huge buildings in Lynn st. for me older sister to come out of dance classes....always looks better in black and white imo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:37 pm 
There's a longer cut of that on DvD, but it's tagged on to another (crap!) Ridley Scott film from the 70's. I have it somewhere and will attempt (no promises) to get it onto YouTube in 2-3 parts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:56 am 

United wrote:

Aye it is............the kid stopped at the corner of Burbank St and Whitby St next to Newburn School. Our house was a few yards from where he was. You can still stand on that corner.

Great clip Chip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:13 pm 

I think the rest of the film takes him to Greatham Creek and the houseboats that used to be there. Nice to see the old Rosebank School blazer making an appearance. If I remeber correctly that's Ridley's brother on the bike while he was filming it from the back of his dads car.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:24 pm 

For those "old timers" that might be interested here is the link to part 2 courtesy of YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiKhwqYr ... re=related

Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:19 pm 
Lovely clips. It brings back just how much there was to do in and around the town, without spending money. Remember Saturday afternoons in Lynn Street/Musgrave Street/Church Street when the town seemed to congregate en masse to walk up and down...not to buy anything but just to meet friends and chin wag. And yeah, the fair grounds were great.

Sigh. It's as if someone has ironed out all the creases, innit, and left almost total blandness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:07 pm 

Think that may have been the central pub at the start of the film, my mates always started the pub crawl of the hedland in that pub brings back great flash backs seen some good cowboy fights in the next pub up from the central but could never remember its name. The same time ridley was cycling round Hartlepool me and my mate chucker green and len ashurst built the wall at the front of the rink end terrace with the bricks from the old queens rink. I f..ked a brand new pair of Dr Martens building that wall. next time your at the vic look at the size of the stone bricks they f..kin massive if one falls on laurences tights he had it" we both never got paid a penny just a bottle of reltons cider each shit days realy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:34 pm 
My real name is ADG, Don't take me seriously, I'm a fat Victor Meldrew on a wind up.

I know I am in the minority here but, as someone approaching middle age, I find these nostalgia moments a bit dull. The town actually looks really bad, and its easy to why Hartlepool had such a terrible reputation. Sorry. Nostalgia just aint what it used to be. Give me the modern world any day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:47 pm 

Mr Creosote wrote:
I know I am in the minority here but, as someone approaching middle age, I find these nostalgia moments a bit dull. The town actually looks really bad, and its easy to why Hartlepool had such a terrible reputation. Sorry. Nostalgia just aint what it used to be. Give me the modern world any day.

Not sure that I get you?

I love looking at old photos and film of the town to see what it used to be like, and at "newer" stuff that is now old and remembering things how they were when I was a kid.

That doesn't mean that I wish they were like that now though.

NOTE: Any statements made by me are, for the avoidance of doubt and arseyness, my opinion and not necessarily absolute fact nor are they necessarily shared by the people who own and run this board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:09 pm 
Mr Creosote wrote:

I think modern Hartlepool is like most British towns..it's all plastic-looking- surfaces and no quirky bits. I also get the impression that people have become more standardised, too, as a result of not having any quirky bits to explore. There seem to be far fewer 'characters', or people interested in doing anything differently.

In fact, I can't think of any aspect of the modern world that I do prefer. There must be a few, but........ sctatchinghead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:18 pm 
My real name is ADG, Don't take me seriously, I'm a fat Victor Meldrew on a wind up.

Mr Ripper wrote:

Not sure that I get you?

I love looking at old photos and film of the town to see what it used to be like, and at "newer" stuff that is now old and remembering things how they were when I was a kid.

I dont mind looking back at the old stuff, if only to think thank god its not like that now. But thats just me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:31 pm 

Mr Creosote wrote:
Mr Ripper wrote:

Not sure that I get you?

I dont mind looking back at the old stuff, if only to think thank god its not like that now. But thats just me.

Most things I agree with you, e.g. slum housing, the dirt of the heavy industry etc. However some stuff, which I think is what Ms G is on about, such as the wider range of shops, cafes, cinemas, architecture and the like then maybe it's a shame that we don't have that now.

NOTE: Any statements made by me are, for the avoidance of doubt and arseyness, my opinion and not necessarily absolute fact nor are they necessarily shared by the people who own and run this board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:35 pm 

Weren't most Towns like that though???? sctatchinghead sctatchinghead

I'd rather be back then than now with all the fecking smackrats!!!! :evil: :evil:

You could leave your front door open in them days....cos no-one had feck all!!!! :wink: :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm 

Mr Creosote wrote:
and its easy to why Hartlepool had such a terrible reputation.

sctatchinghead sctatchinghead sctatchinghead

Up there with Harrogate and Winchester these days aren't we?!?! :roll: confised

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:38 pm 

rink end skin wrote:
Think that may have been the central pub at the start of the film, my mates always started the pub crawl of the hedland in that pub brings back great flash backs seen some good cowboy fights in the next pub up from the central but could never remember its name. The same time ridley was cycling round Hartlepool me and my mate chucker green and len ashurst built the wall at the front of the rink end terrace with the bricks from the old queens rink. I f..ked a brand new pair of Dr Martens building that wall. next time your at the vic look at the size of the stone bricks they f..kin massive if one falls on laurences tights he had it" we both never got paid a penny just a bottle of reltons cider each shit days realy

are you thinking of the lord clyde
chucker green now theres a name from way back his mam sylvia was still knocking about last year but havent seen her for a while she was still living on sea view terrace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:45 pm 

Could the pub in the opening sequence be off Burbank Street?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:49 pm 

Think you could be right it had a youth club next door, just before you went under the bridge, Never heard from chucker since he moved down to grimbsy with the last of the big fishing boats, I will always remember his mam knocking him out with a frying pan as he walked through the front door when he got his first skinhead and see was also gunning for Joe buckle for cutting his long locks, could never understand why he supported Manchester utd Great cod head chucker,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:24 pm 

Snowy wrote:

Are you thinking of the Sun Inn, Snowy?????

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:11 pm 

derwent wrote:
United wrote:

Aye it is............the kid stopped at the corner of Burbank St and Whitby St next to Newburn School. Our house was a few yards from where he was. You can still stand on that corner.

Great clip Chip.

Thought it was. I lived over the road for years :coool:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:30 pm 

Mr Creosote wrote:
Mr Ripper wrote:

Not sure that I get you?

I am only 27 but when I see images of the town when all the industry was around it makes me sudder. However I agree with Miss G that things like seaton and the fish sands appear to have been a lot better in the old days when I have seen photos of them, however I think the reason for this is due to people wanting to be in the town as they couldnt afford to go anywhere else for their summer etc.

I think one of the most enjoyable summer of my life was when I was about 14-15 my folks went away for about three weeks and I stayed with my uncle who was about 16 years older than my dad, he took me around Hartlepool telling me tales about the fish sands, the ferry, the open-air swimming pool that was filled by the sea and we visited all the museums etc.

What am I going to say and show to any of my realtives about the town apart from the Historic Quay (which is brilliant), oh there are the new sterile shops that are the same everywhere you go, seaton is a hell hole, oh look at the wesley I used to get hammered in there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:34 pm 

still say this is my favourite photo though and I have been on about getting it enlarged for years:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:14 pm 

I love that picture aswell....got it saved in numerous formats....and like you....been wanting to get it printed out for ages!!!! confised :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:40 pm 

MutleyRules wrote:
I love that picture aswell....got it saved in numerous formats....and like you....been wanting to get it printed out for ages!!!! confised :grin:

Brilliant picture............I'd love to know who the gadgie is !!!!!!!!

On those days..................yes people were less well off materially but the riches they got from being part of a close community were priceless.
Dads coming out into the street to play footy and cricket ( over the backyard wall was six and out !!!!!!!! ), women baking and sharing it out, men proud of their working class background and of the skills they had. All sorts of things were made in Hartlepool in those days. The men grafted and the women ran the home. Streets full of characters and, if you were lucky, one or two Pools players. Leo Harden ( the flying dustman) used to spend ten minutes or so putting in crosses for us on his way home from work. Kenny Johnson had the fish shop on the corner of Temperance St and Lynn St.
There was a "midwife" in every street as well as the women who" laid" corpses out on the death of a resident.
Me dad used to tell the tale of once coming downstairs in the middle of the night and finding a burglar in the front room.......Oh Christ I'm caught said the burglar.......Nah me dad said, I'll put the kettle on while you keep looking.....and if you find owt we'll go halfers !!!!!!!!!!
Like every era etc there were good times and bad times but if we got home on the odd occasion where me mam was out, it was straight next door to be stuffed with home made apple pie.
I can still smell the aroma of baking bread that filled the streets.
We had nothing and everything all at the same time.
Ice on the inside of your bedroom windows in the winter wasn't very nice like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:45 pm 

rink end skin wrote:
Think you could be right it had a youth club next door, just before you went under the bridge, Never heard from chucker since he moved down to grimbsy with the last of the big fishing boats, I will always remember his mam knocking him out with a frying pan as he walked through the front door when he got his first skinhead and see was also gunning for Joe buckle for cutting his long locks, could never understand why he supported Manchester utd Great cod head chucker,
The film is from the mid sixties and the Central aka Klondyke would still have been surrounded by houses and miles away from where the film was shot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:47 pm 

derwent wrote:
Snowy wrote:

Are you thinking of the Sun Inn, Snowy?????
This is like a detective series, I'll be getting the maps out to check these things out :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 pm 

Compo wrote:
still say this is my favourite photo though and I have been on about getting it enlarged for years:
Those two blast furnaces where demolished with explosives about 1976-7 and four of us made a day of it from our duties and spent a good few hours in the sunshine waiting for the big bang ... one of the lads asked us how long it was gonna be as he was hungry, we heard a thud, turned to look and they were gone ... just fecking dust. banghead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:14 pm 

Thanks for the clip Chip.
The clip has sparked memories of my first trips to Pools -to Seaton & particularly to the fairground.
From Northallerton with me parents & grandparents, usually on the WMC charabang with a load of pissheads inc' several of my relatives.
Seaton seemed a cornucopia of delights back then.

Little did I know then that I'd end up watching Pools at the Vic once I moved back up North.

I'm sure those early, happy days spent in Seaton must have started the affection for Pools & for the town.

Despite some Poolies putting the town down still one of my favourite places on the planet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:24 pm 

effionthedragon wrote:
Despite some Poolies putting the town down still one of my favourite places on the planet.

Very true its easy to knock the town but we are allowed to being Poolies, when anyone else does round here it boils my piss and I go on a rant about it.

I live away but still and always will call Hartlepool my home and I will move back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:20 pm 

One of the best threads I have seen on the Bunker - that video clip brings back a lot of memories and the picture of the gadgie walking towards the Old Works is a great shot.

Although most of us probably have better living standards these days we had something back then that you don't seem to get these days. Or maybe its just a hankering for our lost youth...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 am 

We got moved on in Church Street during the filming of that 'Play For The Day' thingy....with Mr.Parmo's Nana in it....on the promise of a 'Lolly' each!!!! :coool: :coool:

We Got Feck-All....Hollywood Wankers!!!! banghead rage banghead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 am 

This is what I meant to say before having a whinge....no-one has found a copy of it yet!!!! banghead banghead banghead

sadx sadx sadx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:18 pm 

Here's a link for the full 27 minute 'Boy & Bicycle' Film....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6834980694996409419#

:coool: :coool: :coool:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]