Username:  
Password:  
Register 
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Bob Newton
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:51 am 

Anyone else hear Bob on Talksport last night?

he called in as bob the trucker from Chesterfield, he said he had ten pallets of M&S lingerie then said he used to play a bit of footy as a bustling centre forward (he never gave his surname out to start with) then went on to talk about playing in the USA in the 70's against Muller, Pele et al

He said he flattened Beckenbaur for the third time in one match, he was on his knees and said 'I am Beckenbaur Germany, he said I am Bob Newton Hartlepool United and stood on his leg as I walked off'

Top bloke

Post subject: Re: Bob Newton
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:55 am 

No time for the man. A serial pisshead drunk driver. He;s not quite Bob the Trucker - he's currently banned for, yes you guessed it; drink driving.

The Lee Hughes of his day but a lot worse because at least Hughes learned his lesson.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:43 am 

Interesting comparison Dave Wiggate had been on a night out with Bob Newton so knew he had been drinking and as he had presumably bought him some, Lee Hughes ploughed into total strangers and ran off.

I have no time for drink drivers lost a mate in the 80's to it so not condoning anyone just comparing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:36 pm 

Location: “It’s a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma,”
I also have no time for drink drivers.
And I am ashamed of what he did and he has obviously never learned his lesson
However he "Bob Newton is the reason I support pools the player is a legend in my eyes & I loved watching him as a kid sat on the wall of the Rink & Town end terraces.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:31 am 

See it fails to mention any of this on his wiki page, he looks like a hero on it :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Newton_(footballer)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:47 am 

He'll have his licence back by now (unless he's lost it again)

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/Dr ... 3607937.jp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:50 am 

What this says to me is he has no remorse what so ever how many times has he been behind a wheel while drunk and not been caught its awful. I mean how easy is it to ring a taxi utter idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:10 pm 

We have Bob Newton the footballer who never failed to excite Pools fans, for which he receives legend status and then we have Bob Newton the pisshead who went to jail through drink, influenced the death of a fellow player through drink and then showed how bloody stupid he is by getting banned again through drink.
Will it happen again I Wonder.
I don't know Bob Newton the man, never met the bloke but I loved watching him play football. Having said that I would be prepared to allow a young lad one mistake but when he did it again then that puts me in Mr I's camp.
Like someone said...how many times has he risked it.
Anyone who gets done twice, especially after the first offence caused a fatality deserves to lose his licence for good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:02 pm 

Thats my view. The Dave Wiggett incident is understandable. Two young lads out on the pull back in the 70's when drink driving was pretty normal.

To then repeat it after his mate dying at his hands shows a very different aspect to the man.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm 

He was awsome in Blue and White.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:13 pm 

ed-t-ball wrote:
He was awsome in Blue and White.

I'm sure that the Notts Country fans love Lee Hughes. There again why not, his behaviour was far less serious than Newton's. I found the hypocracy of Pools fans slagging Hughes off interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:37 pm 

Quote:
There again why not, his behaviour was far less serious than Newton's

Far less serious?

I suppose smashing into a car whilst drunk and under the influence of drugs, leaving the scene of the crime and hiding away from the police for two days ain't so bad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:40 pm 

My point is that once he did his time he hasn't repeated the offence. Thats what makes it worse.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:52 pm 

when I was a kid big bob was my hero,and at school we had to do a letter writing exercise "write to your hero",guess I was about 13 at the time.anyway the rest of the lads were writing to dalglish or whoever were the big stars of the day getting nothing back.bob sent me a 4 page hand written letter with a couple of signed pictures and an invite for me and the old man to meet him on a match day,which we did.He met us gave us a tour of the ground,personally introduced us to all the players and met us after the match.after that he left us an open invite and he met us a few more times on different match days,me dad stopped the freebies cos he felt guilty about pools not getting his money.
The bob I met was a gent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:08 pm 

dawlishmonkey wrote:
The bob I met was a gent.

You obviously never met him when he was driving a car or truck pissed out of his head.

I don't dispute that he did well for Pools or that he was a hero to many, me included at the time. What I say is that any respect he has has long been forfeit because he insists on driving after being on the piss despite having killed one young lad whilst drink driving.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:34 pm 

I wouldn't offer a defence for the things he did,only that the wiggett thing must of impacted on him contributing partly to the follow on incidents,or maybe he was/is just a wrong un who had a few good seasons in the sun,I've no idea. strange that the likes of bryan robson is still seen as a hero despite 4 convictions for drunk driving whilst still at man u

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:25 pm 

I must admit Newton was a fantastic player first time round with pools and not taking away the fact he was banned again for drink driving the terrible consequences which cost Dave Wiggett his life will pray on his mind forever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:34 pm 

The Lightning Tree wrote:
terrible consequences which cost Dave Wiggett his life will pray on his mind forever.

But not bother him enough to prevent him from doing it again

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:50 pm 

One of my biggest problems with Lee Hughes is the way he conducts himself now like he is some kind of fcking hero and it's another reason why I've never warmed to Newton. If I killed someone in such circumstances like those two had I would be terrified to show myself in public, nevermind act like some kind of big shot at every given opportunity.

People make mistakes and I have no problem in giving people a second chance but I find some of their behaviour slightly offensive at times and I wouldn't give either the time of day.

If Lee Hughes signed for Pools I wouldn't set foot in the ground until he'd gone, if McCormack from Plymouth came out of prison and tried to make a new life for himself then I would give him a chance but if he started behaving like the other two I'd quickly reverse this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:42 pm 

Has Hughes learnt his lesson? Maybe he just hasn't been caught? And I wouldn't give McCormack another chance purely because of his smirking, arrogant attitude after killing two young brothers. Hasn't shown any remorse whatsoever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:44 pm 

lancspoolie wrote:
Has Hughes learnt his lesson? Maybe he just hasn't been caught? And I wouldn't give McCormack another chance purely because of his smirking, arrogant attitude after killing two young brothers. Hasn't shown any remorse whatsoever.

It's impossible to say whether Hughes has learnt his lesson or not, I don't like the bloke regardless.

I must have missed McCormacks smirking, arrogant attitude. It certainly wouldn't surprise me with footballers these days. :roll: